China Smart Grid Demonstration Projects
Shanghai World Expo
Shanghai World Expo is the first official presentation of the "low carbon" concept Expo. There is large-scale implementation of solar energy, new energy vehicles, smart grid, LED lighting demonstration application. 
The Smart Grid Demonstration Project is located in the World Expo Park. Known as an "Energy Heart", a 110kV intelligent substation in the B1 of State Grid Pavilion supplies electric power for the whole Park. With low-carbon and green concept, this substation is using ground source heat pump, heat collection, ice storage and other new technologies to achieve energy recycling . Up till May 2010, the total electricity consumption had reached 348.2 kWh, in which 208.9 kWh is from renewable generation. 
The solar panels on the theme pavilion roofs covers more than 30,000 square meters, making it the world's largest signal solar roof. Total capacity of more than 4.68 MW solar power facilities have been installed on China Pavilion, Theme Pavilion, Expo Center, Cultural Center and other landmarks roof and glass curtain walls to reduce emissions of carbon dioxide 4000 tons per year, which makes it the largest domestic demonstration area of solar photovoltaic cells.
At the same time, Shanghai World Expo will become the world's largest demonstration project of new energy vehicle. A total of over 1,000 new energy vehicles are running in and around the World Expo Park. Shanghai World Expo site are using new energy vehicles to achieve zero emission public transport: 120 electric passenger cars, 36 super-capacitor buses and six fuel cell vehicles, running for public transportation; 140 electric pavilion vehicles and 100 fuel cell sightseeing car, specifically to satisfy public demand.
The entire demonstration zone includes 9 model projects and 4 demo projects. 
 State Grid Pavilion in Shanghai World Expo Website http://en.expo2010.cn/c/en_qy_tpl_107.htm
State Grid Pavillon Expo 2010 http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Urzeob5Nr9A
The 4,000-square-meter pavilion, named "Magic Box," is designed to be a metallic square with a crystal cube embedded inside. The "Magic Box" is supported by two constructions with grid facade. A solar light system which is composed of 12 mirrors and resembles sunflowers will illuminate the underground part of the pavilion. Making full use of summer wind in Shanghai, a "Tunnel of Electric Current" is installed inside the pavilion, where visitors are expected to have a special experience that feels like moving inside the wires. Covered by LED lights, the box will be shinning with colorful lighting all day around to provide visitors with a visual highlight and special experiences. http://en.expo2010.cn/c/en_qy_tpl_107.htm
Sino-Singapore Tianjin Eco-city
The Smart Grid Project in Sino-Singapore Tianjin Eco-city was started in April, 2010. The project planed six substations, two 220kV and four 110kV. Finally, a smart power supply network will be formed with 220kV and 110kV transmission network, 10~35kV distribution lines and 380V/220V low voltage distribution networks .
The total load in Tianjin Eco-city is estimated to 411.25MW, i.e. 12.02MW/km2 load density. The renewable generation will take 24.62% of the total generation to meet the planning requirements of the Eco-city.
The total investment of the Eco-city has reached 369.9 million RMB, (about 54.6 million USD). The project will be finished at least 80% by the end of 2010 and finalized by the end of 2011. 
The Smart Grid Project in Tianjin Eco-city will include:
- Intelligent distributed power generation systems with grid energy storage and diversified access;
- Intelligent transmission systems with line digitization, standardization and safety;
- Intelligent substations with integrated digital information and communication platform for networking, information sharing, standardization, advanced interactive applications;
- Intelligent distribution network with intelligent self-healing, flexible, adjustable intelligent based on distribution automation;
- Intelligent end use containing information collection system, two-way interactive marketing system, intelligent power district, building, home and electric car charging and discharging station;
- Intelligent control and operation center with intelligent operational risk assessment, early warning and coordinated control of power supply security and optimal scheduling functions;
- Dynamic multi-dimensional virtual visualization platform to provide the smart grid with geographic information integration, analysis and visualization function for operation.
 The State Grid Corporation of China, Sept. 21, 2011 http://www.sgcc.com.cn/ztzl/newzndw/tbxw/09/254738.shtml
About Sino-Singapore Tianjin Eco-city
- United Energy Capital Program